Augusta, GA asked in Civil Litigation and Municipal Law for Georgia

Q: Auto left on my property about 7 years ago. Owner refuses to have it removed. What is my recourse?

the auto does not run. I contacted the owner several times and he always promises to have it removed but never does.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In this situation, you may have legal recourse to address the abandoned vehicle on your property. Firstly, familiarize yourself with the laws and regulations regarding abandoned vehicles in your jurisdiction. These laws typically outline the process for dealing with abandoned vehicles and may provide you with options for resolution.

Next, document all communication with the owner regarding the removal of the vehicle, including dates, times, and the content of your conversations. This documentation can serve as evidence of your attempts to resolve the issue amicably. If the owner continues to refuse to remove the vehicle, you may consider sending a formal written notice requesting removal within a specified timeframe, citing relevant laws or regulations.

If the owner still fails to comply with your request, you may need to explore legal avenues such as filing a complaint with local authorities or seeking assistance from legal professionals who can guide you through the process of resolving the matter. Ultimately, taking proactive steps and adhering to legal procedures can help you address the situation and ensure the removal of the abandoned vehicle from your property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.