Oakland, CA asked in Traffic Tickets for California

Q: How can I defend myself if I believed that the report was biased (traffic report indicates that I changed unsafe?

I made sure the lane was empty, the line mark on the road was broken not dry line. I have been blinking showing intended to change lane to right. The other driver was far away enough to slow down and give right of Way so I can change lane but unsafely drove through and hit my Vehicle at the right side rear passenger door

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if you believe a traffic report is biased against you, there are steps you can take to defend yourself. First, gather any evidence that supports your version of events. This could include photos of the accident scene, the road conditions, and any traffic signs or signals. If there were witnesses who saw what happened, their statements could be invaluable. Additionally, consider if there are nearby surveillance cameras that might have recorded the incident.

Documentation is key. Make sure to detail your actions leading up to the accident, including your use of turn signals, your observation of traffic conditions, and the position of the other vehicle. Diagrams showing the positions of the vehicles before and after the incident can also help clarify your account.

Lastly, you may want to consult with an attorney who is experienced in traffic law. They can provide guidance on how to present your evidence effectively, whether it's in court or to your insurance company. An attorney can also help you understand your rights and the legal process, including any deadlines to contest the traffic report or to file a claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.