Paterson, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: single mother renting a home in NJ and I am the only one on my lease, what is the process to have my adult son removed?

He has been living with me since June 2022 but has an alchohol and crack cocaine addiction. He refuses to get help and refuses to leave when requested. He pays no rent and is not listed on my lease. He is no longer welcome in my home. Can I just change the locks and refuse him entry or am I required to follow other legal guidelines to have him removed?

I was told by an attorney that I don't have to do anything formally, that I can just lock him out but I've also read articles stating I have to formally notify him and provide up to 60 days notice? Does anyone know the exact way to proceed? He simply laughs and says "I'm not going anywhere".

I am just renting my side of a duplex and didn't want to get the owner/landlord involved if possible.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Schutz
Matthew Schutz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Flemington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: First let me say sorry to hear about the difficulties you're having with your son.

From what you say in your question, you could probably file for an ejectment to remove your son. He is over 18, doesn't pay rent to you, doesn't make any contribution to the household expenses. An ejectment will take about a month. The eviction process will be longer at least two maybe three months.

Self-help evictions in New Jersey are never an option.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.