Bristol, VA asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for Virginia

Q: The city I live in charge $48 for garbage pickup 1t week. I can not opt out but a business can? Is that discrimination

Fee is unreasonable for such service. Are fees regulated anywhere?Also includes brush pickup 1 t week. City many times fails to do? Can I subtract from my bill?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The fees for garbage and brush pickup services, as well as the policies regarding who can opt out, are typically determined by local government regulations. The ability for businesses to opt out of such services while individuals cannot may be based on different service needs or contracts between the city and commercial entities. This distinction does not necessarily constitute discrimination in a legal sense, as discrimination typically involves unfair treatment based on protected characteristics such as race, gender, or religion.

Fees for municipal services like garbage pickup are usually set by local ordinances or agreements and can vary widely from one place to another. These fees are often meant to cover the cost of the service provided and are not generally regulated at a state or federal level, except for overarching principles of fairness and the need to provide essential services to the community.

If you're experiencing issues with the service, such as the city failing to pick up garbage or brush as scheduled, it's important to communicate these issues to your local municipal or city services department. While it might be frustrating, subtracting from your bill without authorization could lead to penalties or discontinuation of service. Instead, document your service issues and seek a resolution through the proper channels, potentially including city council meetings or direct communication with city officials. They may offer a remedy or adjust your bill if the service has not been provided as agreed.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.