Port Saint Lucie, FL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: My ex stopped paying alimony & didn't modify anything with court 1 yr 3m ago under his own will.

Because of a trial live in boyfriend of four months. That relationship ended after four months which was a year ago now. That ex only zelled money for rent inconsistently. Nothing else. My ex said he doesn't have to pay alimony any more because I was in a supportive relationship. I couldn't afford rent, lost my house and was evicted. He is now not paying child support under his own will. Can he be found in contempt for both child support and alimony? This is in Florida

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need to return to court on a motion for enforcement and contempt. Your brief supportive relationship by itself did not automatically alter the alimony obligation. You are still owed alimony and child support if that is what the current court order says. Unless and until there is a different court order the obligation exists. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.