Nashville, TN asked in Child Support, Criminal Law and Collections for Tennessee

Q: The TN Child Support Services is taking me to court to file a criminal contempt and for a judgment. What do i do next?

My business that was barely making ends meet; as of Nov2023 I decided to close the business and get a CD Driving job. I obtained my CDL Learners Permit in Nov2023 and discovered in December that I need to let my hair grow long enough to submit a Federal DOT Drug Screen; I had planned to submit this in Mar2024. Besides a failing business, I have been employed/unemployed through 2022/2023 and have made payments as I can; when employed, the payments were automatically deducted, there are many "partial" payments. I was served with a subpoena on Feb.28.2024 with what looks like an action to perform a seizure of assets w/ criminal charges to my record. Other than not being able to pay the full support amount every month, I have become a Trusted and dependable asset to my clients and the community they serve. I know I need a lawyer to fight this as any criminal convictions will crush my attempts to get a job that will make it possible to pay my entire debt in this lifetime.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You might want to hire a competent Bankruptcy attorney to file file a Chapter 13 Plan to pay the arrearages over five years. It can save your CDL (which is in jeopardy) and pay off the debt in 60 months.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.