Vancouver, WA asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: Child name change with parent not involved since 2017

I have a child with a parent who had assaulted me in the presence of the child in 2017 and has not had contact with them since. They were arrested, charged and took a plea deal. I would like to change his name but want to avoid this other human being as much as possible. I was trying to figure out if I go through a lawyer if I still have to go to court or if he even has to be notified because it’s been so many years. I am concerned for both of our safety.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Leskin
Steven Leskin pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Search Google for Oregon Minor Name Change. The first answer will be a fact sheet from the Oregon Judicial Department. Follow the instructions. It is pretty straightforward.

Hope that helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.