Panama City, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Is there any penalties/deadlines for getting married but not changing my wifes last name until a later date?

The reason for delaying changing her last name is that we live separately and won't be living together for at least 18 months.

We would be getting the marriage officiated in california.

She lives in California and I live in Florida.

Thank you in advance!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: There are no penalties or deadlines. If and when a person is ready to change their name they can present the marriage license together with any other required documentation.

Edna Pierre
Edna Pierre
  • Miramar, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Florida law does not impose a deadline or time limit for when she should change her last name after your marriage. If she becomes a resident of Florida and completes the name change, she has 30 days to update her Florida Driver's License with her new name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.