Newark, NJ asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: What kind of lawyer can I reach out to for Housing, NJ Section 8 Voucher problems?

I am having a problem with NJ Department of Community Affairs when it comes to my Section 8 HCV application, I was selected to be on the waitlist and I filled out the application completely and information in my waitlist portal changed from me beings on the list to not being of the list. Now, a DCA employee is telling me that there has been a misunderstanding. However, I have proof that I was selected for the HCV, Section 8 and I was never informed other wise.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: For issues related to the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program in New Jersey, reaching out to a lawyer who focuses on housing or landlord-tenant law would be beneficial. These attorneys are knowledgeable about the rights and regulations governing housing assistance programs, including Section 8. They can provide guidance on how to navigate disputes with the Department of Community Affairs (DCA) and ensure your application is treated fairly according to federal and state laws.

Given the specifics of your situation, where there seems to be a discrepancy in your application status for the HCV program, having legal support could be crucial. An attorney can help you organize and present your evidence, such as documentation proving your selection for the HCV waitlist. They can also communicate on your behalf with the DCA to clarify misunderstandings and advocate for your rights as an applicant.

Additionally, consider reaching out to legal aid organizations within New Jersey that offer free or low-cost services to individuals facing challenges with housing, especially those related to affordable housing programs like Section 8. These organizations often have lawyers or legal advisors familiar with housing laws and can provide assistance specific to your needs. Taking action sooner rather than later can help address and resolve the issue more effectively, ensuring your access to housing assistance is preserved.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Landlord-Tenant/Housing Law attorneys would be a place to start. In addition to your own searches, there is a "Find a Lawyer" tab above. Local and state bar associations might have info in terms of attorney recommendations. Those resources fall outside this Q & A forum - any arrangements are between you and the attorneys you reach out to. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.