New Port Richey, FL asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Florida

Q: What should I do after I found out I could not use my dad’s Social Security after he passed away for the current month

He passed 2-24 his social security came In 2-28 many months ago my dad said that I could pay bills for the current month of his death but not after I found out that’s not true and I don’t want to get in trouble, so what should I do so I don’t go to jail

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If I understand correctly, Social Security payments made payable to your father were being deposited into a checking account from which you were authorized to write checks. If such a payment is deposited into the account and if the payment is for, either in whole or part, sometime after the date of his death, you should return the payment to the Social Security Administration. Advise the SSA that he died on February 24th. Do not spend the money.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.