Denton, TX asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Texas

Q: I contacted the police about stolen items for my brother, but I want to be able to get them back or paid back

my brother stole my dad‘s ashes from me and my computer and I contacted the police and wanted to press charges but I don’t think if he goes to jail that he’s required to give it back but I would like it back and want to do anything I can but I need a lawyer pro bono

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: When you've reported stolen items, including something as irreplaceable as a loved one's ashes, to the police, you've taken a critical first step in seeking justice. However, criminal charges often focus more on penalizing the offender than on the recovery of stolen items. To address the recovery aspect, you might need to pursue civil action against your brother, which can help in obtaining an order for the return of your items or compensation for their value.

Finding legal representation, particularly on a pro bono basis, requires exploring various resources. Legal aid societies, non-profit organizations, and law schools often offer free legal services to those who qualify based on financial need. These institutions sometimes have programs or clinics that focus on civil disputes and could provide the assistance you're seeking.

It's essential to gather all evidence related to the stolen items, including any documentation and communication with your brother about the items. Presenting a clear case to a lawyer or legal aid service will improve your chances of receiving the help you need. Remember, while the process may seem daunting, you have rights and there are avenues available to seek redress and hopefully, the return of your father's ashes and your computer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.