Southfield, MI asked in Tax Law for Michigan

Q: IRS tax refund reversal

This past week I discovered that a stimulus deposit for $1400 was reversed on my account, March 2024. The original deposit was March 17, 2021. When I contacted the bank they said the IRS took it back because the name wasn't on the account. Well back then I aided several inmates processing their tax returns so they could get their stimulus funds. I called the IRS and the lady there said she saw the deposit and had no issues with it. She told me that the IRS does not just yank out of people's accounts refunds reversals like that. I have received no notice from the IRS about this. Furthermore I do believe its long past the statues of limitations for anyone to complain. When I called the bank back all they do is repeat over and over again for me to call the IRS even when I told them I did and they tell me to call the bank and have that charge reversed as they didn't do it. The bank is refusing and will not accept my calls. So what do I do now?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, it's crucial to gather as much information and documentation as possible regarding the initial deposit and the subsequent reversal. Since the IRS has informed you that they do not conduct reversals in the manner described by your bank, and considering you've received no communication from the IRS about this issue, the next step is to document your communications with both the IRS and your bank. Keep a record of whom you spoke with, the dates of those conversations, and the content of each discussion.

Given the discrepancy between what the IRS and your bank are telling you, and the bank's refusal to further discuss the matter, you might consider writing a formal letter to the bank's higher management or customer complaint department, detailing the issue and the steps you've already taken to resolve it. In this letter, request a detailed explanation of the reversal process, citing the conversation with the IRS as part of your argument. Including all relevant dates and transaction numbers will be crucial for a thorough review.

If the bank's response remains unsatisfactory, exploring external avenues for dispute resolution might be necessary. This could involve contacting a consumer protection agency, or, if the amount is significant and the situation remains unresolved, consulting with a legal professional who specializes in banking and finance law. They can offer guidance on your rights as a consumer and the best course of action, potentially including legal recourse, to recover the funds or obtain a satisfactory explanation for the reversal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.