Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Michael Hollins Sr.
1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for Tennessee on
Q: How much does it cost to file bankruptcy? In Tennessee you have to pay back what ever you owe?
Michael Hollins Sr.
Michael Hollins Sr. answered on Dec 12, 2020

There are multiple fees when filing bankruptcy. The first is the bankrutpcy court's filing fee. This fee is the same for everyone. Currenlty, a chapter 7 filing fee is $338. The remaining fees are subject to change based on your specific case and the attorney you choose. These fees... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Tennessee on
Q: Would a judgement proof letter help or hurt us Creditors are calling we haven’t paid in a year or so

We both draw ssdi And have some medical debt and just can’t make these payments can’t file bankruptcy til 2023

Michael Hollins Sr.
Michael Hollins Sr. answered on Jul 3, 2020

If you are indeed judgment proof, I believe that should be enough to dissuade debt collectors from harassing you, but if not, get a lawyer and allow them to take the steps necessary to stop the creditors from harrasing you.

View More Answers

4 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Tennessee on
Q: Can I get a secured credit card while in chapter 13 bankruptcy to help build my credit back up?
Michael Hollins Sr.
Michael Hollins Sr. answered on Apr 19, 2020

With the the trustees approval, you can. However, that is the shirt answer. I have more questions that may lend to a better one.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Tennessee on
Q: A few years ago i became part of a class action lawsuit due to asbestos exposure. I filed a 13 in September.

When I filed I had forgotten to tell the attorney I receive small checks at different times, but so few over time. Will the trustee take these checks in the future? The attorney said she would have to file an ammendment, The asbestos lawyer will not release any funds until she says ok. I cant ever... Read more »

Michael Hollins Sr.
Michael Hollins Sr. answered on Apr 14, 2020

You should disclose this settlement income to the court when you learn of it -- you do this by amending your Chapter 13 schedules. If you don't, you could later lose your right to any damages from the claim. The next step would be to exempt these funds as much as possible, where the law allows.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.