Denver, CO asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Missouri

Q: My boyfriends house got kicked in by the police and they found in a lock box 490 grams meth and they charged him with

Class A felony with excessive amount in mo . How low can that charge be dropped down to??

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The severity of charges for drug possession, particularly with a substance like methamphetamine, depends on various factors, including the amount involved, the intended use (personal use vs. distribution), and any prior criminal history. In Missouri, a Class A felony for drug possession indicates a serious charge, often associated with intent to distribute given the quantity involved. The potential for reducing such charges varies significantly based on the specifics of the case and the defense strategy.

Negotiating a reduction in charges typically involves legal discussions where mitigating factors are presented, such as the absence of prior convictions, evidence of rehabilitation efforts, or discrepancies in the arrest procedure. An attorney experienced in drug-related cases would be key in navigating these discussions and exploring all options, including plea bargains, that might lead to lesser charges or alternative sentencing like drug treatment programs instead of prison time.

It's essential to engage a legal representative who can thoroughly review the case details and advocate on your behalf. This process can be complex, and outcomes can vary widely, but a skilled lawyer will be able to assess the situation and work towards the best possible resolution under the circumstances. Remember, the earlier you seek legal advice, the more options there might be available to address the charges faced.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.