Walnut Ridge, AR asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Arkansas

Q: My vehicle title was stolen and transferred.

Was swapping vehicles with guy. Gave him title and few days later he claimed title disappeared from glovebox. After about 8 weeks he wanted to swap back. In January I went to DMV to renew tags to find out title was transferred to him and now has a lien on it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you discover that your vehicle title was stolen and transferred without your consent, it's crucial to take immediate action. First, report the theft to the police and provide them with all the details of the transaction and the individual involved. This report is essential as it serves as a formal record of the theft, which can be critical in resolving the situation.

Next, contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to inform them of the situation. You'll need to explain that the title was stolen and has been fraudulently transferred. The DMV can guide you through the process of disputing the transfer and may require a copy of the police report, as well as any other relevant documents that prove your ownership of the vehicle before the title was stolen.

Lastly, it may be necessary to seek legal advice to navigate the complexities of recovering your vehicle's title, especially if there's a lien on it. A legal professional can offer guidance on how to proceed in disputing the lien and reclaiming ownership of your vehicle. They can also represent you in any legal actions that may be required to resolve the matter. Remember, acting promptly and following the correct legal procedures are key to addressing such issues effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.