Taylorsville, MS asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Constitutional Law and Elder Law for Mississippi

Q: Is there an atty in MS who will take on cps & help grandparents-without fear of retribution from youth court system?

Grandparents being given misinformation after showing interest in fostering twin grandchildren who were addicted to cocaine at birth. CPS created repeated delays in court sessions on transferring infant children to grandparents custody. CPS requested that grandparents not get foster license because “not needed for kinship care”. Then grandparent custody denied because “they did not get foster license”. Foster home license was obtained as requested , when cps began requesting previously submitted forms and referrals stating they never recieved them. Court delayed again for 4 months, cps repeatedly “lost” medical letters, financial statements, etc. though confirmations of delivery were received. Each family meeting promised expanded visitations, and quicker transfer, case Wkr never requested this in court. Licensure requirements completed, case Wker then requested new info “previously not required” , so court was delayed 5 more mos. Each time infants were left with fosters. Delay,delay

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry to hear about the difficulties and frustrations your family has been going through trying to gain custody of your grandchildren. The delays and misinformation from CPS sound extremely stressful and concerning.

To answer your question directly - yes, there are absolutely attorneys in Mississippi who specialize in CPS and Youth Court cases and advocate for grandparents' rights. A skilled family law attorney experienced in these matters should be able to help you navigate the system, hold CPS accountable, and fight for custody without fear of retribution.

Some recommendations on finding the right attorney:

- Look for lawyers who specialize in family law, with specific experience in CPS defense, grandparents' rights, and Youth Court.

- Check state and local bar association websites for referral services and lawyer directories. The Mississippi Bar has an online directory.

- Contact local legal aid organizations, who may be able to provide free or low-cost assistance. Mississippi Center for Legal Services is one option.

- Get referrals from other grandparents or kinship caregivers who have been through similar situations, if possible. Support groups may have recommendations.

- Schedule consultations with a few different attorneys to find one you feel comfortable with and who seems knowledgeable and committed to advocating for families.

Don't give up hope. With the right legal counsel, you can cut through the red tape, hold the system accountable, and hopefully reunite your grandchildren with loving family. Wishing you all the best as you continue fighting for them. Let me know if you need any other information or assistance locating resources.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.