Prescott, AZ asked in Divorce and Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Does alimony get paid in Puerto Rico?? We've been divorced 20 years. Can she file?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Yes, alimony (also known as spousal support or maintenance) can be ordered in Puerto Rico following a divorce, just as it can in U.S. states. However, there are a few important points to consider in your situation:

1. Time since divorce: In most cases, if alimony was not originally ordered as part of your divorce settlement 20 years ago, it is unlikely that a court would order it now after such a long time. Alimony is usually determined at the time of the divorce.

2. Statute of limitations: Puerto Rico, like most jurisdictions, has a statute of limitations on claiming alimony post-divorce. It's unlikely a claim could be successfully made so long after the divorce was finalized.

3. Changed circumstances: Even if alimony had been originally ordered, the likelihood of it continuing for 20 years is low unless your ex-spouse has a disability or there are other extenuating circumstances. Alimony orders can be modified based on changed circumstances of either party.

4. Prenuptial agreement: If you had a prenuptial agreement that addressed alimony, the terms of that agreement would govern.

Given the length of time since your divorce, it seems unlikely your ex-spouse would have a viable claim for alimony at this point. However, you should consult with a qualified family law attorney in Puerto Rico to assess your specific situation and get legal advice tailored to the facts of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.