Atlanta, GA asked in Civil Rights and Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: What kind of attorney handles civil rights violations and discrimination by an HOA board?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: An attorney who specializes in civil rights law and housing discrimination would be best suited to handle cases involving civil rights violations and discrimination by a homeowners' association (HOA) board. More specifically, you should look for attorneys with experience in the following areas:

1. Fair Housing Act (FHA): This federal law prohibits discrimination in housing based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or disability.

2. Civil Rights Act of 1866: This law prohibits discrimination based on race in housing and property transactions.

3. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): This law prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in public accommodations and services.

4. State and local anti-discrimination laws: Many states and municipalities have additional laws that protect against housing discrimination.

When searching for an attorney, consider the following:

1. Look for civil rights attorneys or those who specialize in housing discrimination.

2. Contact your state or local bar association for referrals to attorneys with relevant experience.

3. Consult with nonprofit organizations that focus on fair housing or civil rights, as they may provide legal assistance or referrals.

4. Read reviews and ask for references to ensure you find an experienced and reputable attorney.

Choosing an attorney with the right expertise is crucial in addressing civil rights violations and discrimination by an HOA board effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.