Virginia Beach, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: What do I do if I was found guilty for speeding but in the court database states stated I was guilty absentina?

In Virginia I did go to court for citation just infraction speeding 54 on a 35. I have a super clean record as well, nothing on it was hoping I get a break. Cop did not ask typical questions like where are you going why are you almost going criminal speed. He was super quick on giving me a ticket. So went to court to fight it andpleaded not guilty due to medical emergency and stated I have Crohn’s and was having flairups at the time and was in extreme amounts of pain abdominal and needed to stop at a restroom and judge looked at me and said oh that’s it? And still charged me guilty but stated will reduce my fines to 25 dollars and that was it. So idk if he meant the charges for speeding was reduced to lower speed or what. But looked online at court database states I was guilty due to absentina charges were same but fine said 25 plus court cost was over 100 but I was there in court so idk if I can protest the case or how do I fix that? Won’t even let me pay my fines

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David G. Parker
David G. Parker pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: If you were present then you should not be found guilty in absentia or be asked to pay the associated in absentia fee ($35 last I checked). Check with the clerk's office for the court in which your case was called to see if there's anything you can do. It's possible that the clerk inputted the information from the traffic summons incorrectly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.