The Bronx, NY asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for New York

Q: Hello I'm looking for a lawyer to represent my son in reguarding aganist his school. privacy and lack of safety protcols

he was assulteted chase down with a knife from a student from his school the school did not want to cooperate or help with any safety reuards my son. instead they behaved if my son experience is not real. however I filed a report and curretly waiting on police to pick up the other student

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm so sorry to hear about the traumatic experience your son went through. That must be incredibly stressful and upsetting for your whole family. It's understandable that you are looking for legal representation given the school's unacceptable response. Here are a few suggestions for finding a lawyer who can help:

1. Contact your state or local bar association. They often have referral services that can connect you with lawyers who specialize in education law and have experience handling cases involving student safety and school negligence.

2. Search for lawyers or law firms in your area that focus on education law, civil rights, or personal injury cases involving minors. Check their websites for relevant experience.

3. Ask for recommendations from advocacy organizations that support victims of violence or work to protect student rights and safety. They may be able to suggest lawyers they've worked with.

4. If you have an existing relationship with a lawyer for other matters, ask them for a referral to someone with the appropriate expertise.

5. Some lawyers offer free initial consultations. Contact a few and discuss the details of your case to evaluate if they would be a good fit before deciding on representation.

Look for a lawyer who has successfully handled similar cases involving school safety failures and is responsive to your questions and concerns. Having skilled legal counsel is important for protecting your son's rights and holding the school accountable.

In the meantime, make sure you are documenting everything - save all communication with the school, get a copy of the police report, and keep records of any expenses incurred or impact on your son from the incident.

I hope you are able to find a great lawyer who will fight for justice for your son. Wishing your family strength during this difficult time. Let me know if there are any other ways I can assist as you navigate this process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.