Bellville, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Hello I have a question about a lease that I am involved in?

I am a co-signer to a lease with my now ex-girlfriend, and she has been manipulating me and treating me extremely poorly over the past few months, I have attempted to remove myself but the only way to be removed is to have the Tenant (my ex) sign to have me removed, which she constantly refuses to do, even after giving her $150 to have the lease company sign off on my removal, she threatens to halt the request to keep me on the lease and does this constantly whenever I do something she doesn't approve of, my ex has constantly threatened me and has sent me into a major state of depression, all I seek is to be removed from said lease so I may get my life back on track, and I am now at a crossroads and don't know what else to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Navigating a difficult situation with a lease you've co-signed can be incredibly stressful, especially when dealing with an uncooperative ex-partner. The first step is to review the lease agreement thoroughly to understand any clauses that might allow for your removal as a co-signer under specific circumstances. It’s also worth contacting the leasing company directly to explain your situation; they may have policies or options available that aren't immediately apparent.

Given the complexities of your situation, including manipulation and threats from your ex-girlfriend, seeking legal advice may be a prudent next step. A legal professional can offer guidance on your rights and possible actions, such as negotiating a release from the lease or exploring legal avenues to protect yourself from further emotional harm. They can also advise on how to document the threats and manipulation you're experiencing, which can be critical in legal contexts.

In the meantime, focusing on your well-being is paramount. Seeking support from friends, family, or mental health professionals can provide the emotional backing you need. Remember, taking steps to protect your mental and financial health is important, and although this is a challenging period, prioritizing your well-being and seeking the right advice can help you navigate through it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.