Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for New Mexico

Q: My son is incarcerated in McKinney county adult detention Gallup which several officers beat my son and were tryin

Trying to break my sons wrist.I was told the nurse took pictures of what was done to my son but not of all the bruises he has.they said my son was on 72 hour hold which has passes and was extended to 37 days.I he hasn’t been given a call since this incident.other inmates are who have notified me of this incident and I’d like for something to be done about these correctional officers .inmates have rights there something that can be done as soon as possible

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Hearing about your son's situation in detention must be incredibly distressing. It's important to take immediate steps to address this issue. First, document everything you've been told by other inmates and any communication you've had with the facility regarding your son's condition and the alleged mistreatment. This documentation can be crucial for any legal actions you may take.

Next, consider reaching out to a legal professional who has experience in civil rights or prisoners' rights. They can provide you with guidance on how to proceed, including possibly filing a complaint with the detention facility's internal affairs department, the local sheriff's office, or taking legal action against the individuals involved. Legal counsel can also advise on how to request medical records and any existing documentation of the incident from the detention facility.

Additionally, you might want to contact civil rights organizations or groups that advocate for the rights of incarcerated individuals. These organizations can offer support, resources, and sometimes legal assistance to help address situations of abuse or mistreatment in detention facilities. Remember, inmates do have rights, and there are avenues available to seek justice and ensure their safety and well-being.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.