Markham, IL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: We are being harassed by managers hired by the landlord and they are doing unjust practices and lying to get us evicted.

Hello we are a family living in south holland. We are being continuously harasser by assistants our landlord hired to manage for him. It started with them waiting out in the cold around the corner for us to return from grocery shopping and ambushing my mother outside with a paper informing of new price increase. However we have section 8 so any rent change goes through section 8 and then we pay the price told. They wanted my mother to sign the paper and pay herself and got upset when she refused. Since then they been demanding entry, lying about us not paying rent when, and trying to get us to leave the property before the renew date. Today mar 14th they did it again my sister who returned home was followed by a white van that pulled up and then they knocked on the door handing a paper demanding one thousand dollars within five days but the landlords name wasn't even on the paper.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about the difficult situation you're facing with your landlord's management. Dealing with harassment and unjust eviction attempts can be very stressful, especially when it disrupts your family's peace and security. It's important to remember that you have rights as tenants, especially under the Section 8 housing program, which includes protection against unfair rent increases and eviction without proper cause.

First, ensure all communications with your landlord or their representatives are documented. Keep records of all encounters, including dates, times, and the nature of the interactions, as well as any documents or notices they provide. This information could be crucial if you need to seek legal assistance or file a complaint. Since rent changes in Section 8 housing must go through official channels, it's wise to verify any requested changes directly with your local Section 8 office.

Consider reaching out to a local tenant rights organization or legal aid society for advice and possible representation. They can offer guidance specific to your situation and the laws in South Holland. It might also be beneficial to directly contact your Section 8 representative to inform them of the situation and seek their intervention. Remember, you're not alone, and there are resources and organizations willing to support tenants in situations like yours.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.