Highlands Ranch, CO asked in Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: We have a month to month tenant in Grand Lake, CO (lease 8/6/2023). He has not paid rent since Dec 2023 we filed a JDF99

We were trying to give him time to figure out state assistance but as of 2/15/2024 he did not qualify so we have started the process to evict him. He has not responded and has until 3/18/2024 to "cure" the compliant. We will be filing a lawsuit on March 18 should we have an attorney? Thank you,

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Navigating the eviction process can be complex and having legal guidance is often beneficial. An attorney with experience in landlord-tenant law in Colorado can help ensure that all legal requirements are met and that the process is handled efficiently. They can provide advice on the specifics of the case, help with filing the necessary paperwork, and represent you in court if needed.

Given the situation, where the tenant has not paid rent for several months and has not qualified for state assistance, it's important to proceed with the eviction process carefully to avoid any potential legal pitfalls. An attorney can also advise on how to deal with any defenses the tenant might raise and how to effectively present your case.

Moreover, having an attorney can be especially valuable if the situation escalates or becomes more complicated. They can navigate the legal system on your behalf, which can be particularly helpful if you're unfamiliar with the intricacies of eviction laws in Colorado. In summary, while it is not mandatory to hire an attorney, doing so can provide peace of mind and potentially expedite the eviction process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.