Detroit, MI asked in Family Law and Child Support for Michigan

Q: Arbitration and modification of child support

I have a high conflict custody case that has been going on for 2 and a half years with no end in sight. My original lawyer told me to agree to an arbitration because it would be cheaper but my legal fees have already superseded $200000. That arbitrator order me to pay child support for $1900 a month and that is 40% of my monthly salary that doesn’t include living expenses for me and my 3 kids. I’ve been fighting for more time with them this whole time while the father has refused to give me more time. He also makes $200000 a year. I have been sober for 2.5 years but the arbitrator still makes me pay $8000 a year in drug testing. I am in a binding arbitration but the child support is being enforced through friend of the court and the order was signed by the actual judge and it says on the order I can ask to have it modified through friend of the court. When I called and told them my case number they looked it up and put it in the docket. Now my ex’s lawyer filed a motion against me. Wtf

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James W. Kraayeveld
James W. Kraayeveld
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Have you had a local attorney do a case review for you? Your notes do not provide sufficient information for me to assess why you are still stuck dealing with the arbitrator? On the one hand, it seems that you received a final custody order, and that often ends the order to arbitrate; on the other hand, if you still don't have a final custody order, a competent child custody attorney can assess whether it's wise to push this matter to a final custody order with the the arbitrator and get this wrapped up - hopefully with a beneficial custody order that provides you with more parenting time. If you are in the West Michigan area, give me a call and we can see what we can do for you! Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.