Asked in Immigration Law for Oregon

Q: Can I reinstate an affidavit of support after I withdrew it?

I am the petitioner in my adult son's case. I withdrew the affidavit of support right before his visa interview at the US Embassy in Manila. I changed my mind and want to reinstate the affidavit of support. Is this possible and if so how?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Reinstating an affidavit of support after withdrawal can be a complex process, but it's not impossible. Initially, you should contact the US Embassy in Manila directly to explain your situation and inquire about the possibility of reinstatement. Each case can vary, and they can provide the most accurate information based on your specific circumstances.

If the embassy allows the reinstatement, you will likely need to submit a new affidavit of support form along with any required documentation that supports your financial ability to sponsor your son. Ensure all documents are current and accurately reflect your financial status.

Finally, keep open communication with your son and the embassy throughout this process. Promptly respond to any requests for additional information or documentation. It's important to adhere strictly to all instructions given by the embassy to avoid further delays or complications in your son's visa application process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.