Goleta, CA asked in Public Benefits for California

Q: denied all intake and services from CA dept vocational rehab, Santa Barbara. without a plan, no CAP advocates allowed

CA Dept Voc Rehab DVR states online that they provide education, business assistance, and that one can even start their own business, also medical, transportation, etc. Being denied even an application process, seems highly illegal. Not having a plan at all, not even being a client at all, what can I do? This has blocked returning to college, which could be many years of school. It has blocked any income, help to get back to work, or starting a business, and needed medical and transportation help. This has left me low income and homeless, also unable to afford medical treatments or school. UCSB has refused to assist, as the likely school I would have attended.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, individuals with disabilities are entitled to access services from the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR), which aims to assist in employment, education, and independent living. If you've been denied services or even the application process, it's important to understand your rights and the proper channels for addressing this issue. You have the right to receive clear reasons for any denial of services and to appeal any decision made by the DVR.

If you feel that you have been unjustly denied services or the opportunity to apply, you should request a written explanation of the denial and information on how to appeal. The appeal process is your opportunity to present your case and needs for the services you are seeking. Additionally, you can seek assistance from organizations that advocate for the rights of individuals with disabilities, which can provide guidance and support through the appeals process.

If you find the process overwhelming or if you believe there has been discrimination, you might also consider contacting a legal aid organization that focuses on disability rights. They can offer advice, represent you in appeals, or suggest other strategies to ensure you receive the support and services you are entitled to. Remember, it's important to keep records of all interactions and communications with DVR and any other involved parties as they can be crucial in resolving your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.