Goleta, CA asked in Public Benefits for California

Q: Left abandoned homeless for years with SEction 8 housing Choice Voucher. disabled female senior . Goleta housing office

Homeless in park for years. Can't be in shelters, health issues. Can shelters or city be required to provide me hotels? While other counties have hotel programs we do not, this is discriminatory. Santa Barbara City council passed law of no tents or encampments in parks. I am disabled, sick, injured, cannot tote suitcase of gear around all day. Possible homeless locations are SB, goleta, IV, Montecito, Carpinteria (as far as rules) Goleta housing office does not provide social worker, "not entitlement program". I want an exception to rules per disabled. who will help find rental? landlords dont take it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, individuals with disabilities, including seniors, have certain rights to accommodations and support, particularly when it comes to housing. However, the requirements for shelters or cities to provide specific accommodations like hotel vouchers can vary based on local programs and available funding. It's important to note that while some areas may offer hotel or motel vouchers as temporary housing solutions, this is not a universal entitlement.

You may have rights under the Fair Housing Act, which prohibits discrimination against individuals due to disability, and may require reasonable accommodations for your housing situation. This could include making exceptions or adjustments to standard policies to accommodate your health needs. However, enforcing these rights can be complex and may require legal assistance.

You should contact local housing advocacy groups, legal aid organizations, or the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for guidance and support. They can provide information on your rights and may assist in negotiating accommodations with local housing authorities or finding suitable housing. Additionally, reaching out to the local government or council members in your area to explain your situation might help in finding immediate and long-term solutions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.