Orlando, FL asked in Personal Injury, Animal / Dog Law and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: I do not speak fluent English & require an interpreter. What do I do if opposing attorney wants conference call?

I cannot have a conversation as defendant with plaintiff opposing council as I do not understand English in full or legal terminology spoken in English at all. The opposing attorney is aware of this and I cannot afford attorney and cannot fine any lawyer to help me who is bilingual based on small fees just to assist me with responses and to know what I should do. The court has not stipulated that I meet with the opposing attorney but they are requesting me to schedule a phone call to review my answer to the complaint and affirmative defenses based on failure to state a cause of action against defendant. I cannot communicate on my own and they won’t speak to anyone else on my behalf that isn’t a lawyer. I know I can request for an interpreter with the courts to assist me in court hearings. Can tell the lawyer I cannot discuss anything by phone with limited English when it is not court ordered for me to have a phone call with opposing counsel on my affirmative defense answer.

1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can file anything you like, but the conversation with the attorney is not part of a court proceeding, and the Court is not going to order an interpreter. You can ask the Court for an interpreter for a Court hearing. Otherwise, this is your issue that you need to solve. It's not opposing counsel's issue, or the Court's issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.