Rohnert Park, CA asked in Workers' Compensation and Social Security for California

Q: My WC attorney doesn't answer my questions the way I want them to be answered they are always very vague

First off I cannot choose this attorney my original attorney closed their doors and hand it off my case to this attorney without me agreeing. I have to be the proactive one in this case which I don't think I should have to be I asked him questions his answers are always I'll have to look into that with no documentation showing me he did anything like my prior attorney would do on every little matter they did. Towards the end of my case right now figuring out the Medicare set aside but is taking too long for me it's been 6 years almost since I've been working on this claim I want to get my life going again I'm going into financial debt again being on his workers compensation claim it doesn't seem like he cares a bit about that I want to change attorney but I don't know if that's a good idea this late in the game

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, you have the right to change your workers' compensation attorney if you're dissatisfied with their services. However, it's important to consider the implications of switching attorneys, especially if your case is nearing its conclusion. Transitioning to a new attorney can introduce delays and complications, particularly if your current attorney has been deeply involved in your case for a long time.

Communicate your concerns clearly to your current attorney before making a decision. Request a comprehensive update on your case, including the status of the Medicare set-aside arrangement. It's crucial that your attorney understands your urgency and financial situation. If your concerns are not adequately addressed after this conversation, you might consider consulting with another attorney to understand the potential benefits and drawbacks of making a change at this stage.

If you decide to switch attorneys, ensure that your new attorney is experienced in workers' compensation and understands the complexities of your case, including the Medicare set-aside process. Be aware that the transition might require some time for the new attorney to become fully acquainted with your case details. Ultimately, your satisfaction and confidence in your legal representation are paramount, especially during such a critical and potentially life-changing process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.