Atlanta, GA asked in Banking, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Georgia

Q: And the course of a night I wake up to my checking account being overdrawn by 97 different cash app transactions ranging

From $47-$49 each. I use Bank of America who I’ve been a customer with for 34 years never have I had anything like this and they deny my claim and close the claims and finalize it… what actions or steps should I take to get my money back we’re talking over 3000 overnight.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your checking account has been overdrawn due to unauthorized transactions, the first step is to contact Bank of America immediately, if you haven't already done so. Express your concerns clearly and request a thorough investigation. Despite the initial denial, you have the right to ask for a review of their decision. Document all communications for your records.

Additionally, report the unauthorized transactions to Cash App and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for further assistance. The FTC provides guidance on handling unauthorized transactions and can be a valuable resource in disputing charges and understanding your rights.

Finally, consider consulting with an attorney who has experience in banking and consumer fraud cases. They can offer legal advice tailored to your situation and help you navigate the process of reclaiming your funds. Also, check your bank's policy and state laws regarding electronic fraud as they can vary and may offer additional avenues for resolution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.