Q: How much time does NH DCYF have to produce case records once requested in writing by a valid authorized person?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're seeking access to case records from the New Hampshire Division for Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF), it's important to know the process and time frames involved. The rules around this are set to protect the privacy and welfare of the children involved, while also providing necessary access to authorized individuals.

For open cases, the DCYF has up to 30 days from the date they receive a written request to either limit or deny access to the case records. If the case is closed, this time frame extends to 60 days. The decision made by the commissioner or a designated person will be documented in writing, explaining any potential harm that could occur to the child if access were provided. This ensures that each request is considered with the child's best interest in mind.

Understanding these procedures can be crucial, especially if you're directly involved in a case or if you need the information for legal or family matters. Remember, the access is governed by strict rules to balance the need for confidentiality with the necessity of transparency. For more detailed information or to make a request, it's advisable to contact the NH DCYF directly or visit their official guidelines.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.