Leland, NC asked in Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina

Q: I am disabled and my daughter is my caretaker can she evict me and make me homeless

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your daughter is your caretaker and there's an established legal or familial agreement regarding your care and living situation, it's generally not straightforward for her to evict you without due process, especially if you're disabled. Laws vary by location, but they often provide protections for tenants, particularly those who are vulnerable due to age, disability, or dependence on a caregiver. It's important to understand your rights and the specific laws in your area.

If you feel threatened with eviction, it's crucial to seek support and advice. You might reach out to local legal aid organizations, community groups, or advocacy organizations for the disabled. They can provide guidance based on your specific circumstances and may offer resources or representation to help ensure your rights are protected.

Remember, you're not alone in this situation. Many communities offer support systems for individuals facing housing issues, particularly those who are vulnerable. Maintaining open communication with your daughter and seeking mediation or counseling could also be beneficial to resolve any misunderstandings or disputes amicably.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.