Kansas City, KS asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Federal Crimes for Kansas

Q: I reported to police that I was sexually assaulted. The DA decided to dismiss. How can I have the case reopened?

A friend of my now x-boyfriend forceably and physically sexually assaulted me at a karaoke bar while the boyfriend stood not more three feet away laughing. The DA dismissed the case. The karaoke bar has cameras but when asked by an investigator the bar told him they didn’t have it knowing a crime was committed. I want to have it reopened and more thoroughly investigated. How must I do that?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you feel that your case was unjustly dismissed, you can start by contacting the prosecutor's office to express your concerns and request a review of the decision. You can ask for a meeting to discuss the evidence and the reasons for the dismissal. It's also helpful to bring any new evidence or information that was not considered previously.

You might also consider reaching out to a victims' advocacy group. These organizations can provide support and guidance, and may be able to help you navigate the legal system. They can also offer resources for coping with the trauma and may assist in pushing for a case review.

Furthermore, if you believe that there was a failure in the investigation, such as the overlooking of video evidence from the karaoke bar, you could bring this to the attention of higher authorities within the police department or seek legal advice from an attorney who deals with sexual assault cases. They can help in understanding your rights and the best course of action to take.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.