Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Kansas Federal Crimes Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Kansas on
Q: When can a felon own a gun in Kansas again? It’s been 6 years, no other infractions. Was att agg robbery.

Level 3 person felony I believe was where it fell on the table.

Caroline Bundy
Caroline Bundy answered on Feb 14, 2021

You would either to have your convictions expunged or pardoned. Even then, it becomes more of an issue on the federal level.

2 Answers | Asked in Federal Crimes and Sexual Harassment for Kansas on
Q: My friend is being blackmailed by a guy. He says he has a sexual video of her and that he will post it.

He is asking her to sleep with him in exchange for $500 or he will post the video of her. He also has made threats to her. She has not reported this because she is either afraid it will get out or she might be in trouble. I've told her that's not the case. She was drunk and in a a bad... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 8, 2019

And why has this not been reported to the police?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Kansas on
Q: My girlfriend was assaulted by a 20 year old man. She has bruises. Police still haven't done anything. What can I do?

20 year old black man forced my girlfriend to kiss him while groping and biting her neck and breasts. This happened at the WSU campus. The police only told him to avoid contact. What can be done?

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 6, 2019

You cannot represent her because you are not a lawyer.

She can go to administration or a woman's help group on campus

But the hair on the back of my neck stood up immediately when I saw it was important to you that you made sure that the readers knew the alleged perpetrator is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Kansas on
Q: If you are out on bail does that mean you can't get an attorney appointed if you can't afford one?


Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 2, 2019

No. Call your local public defender and try to convince them that you cannot afford to hire a criminal defense lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Kansas on
Q: will a superseding incitement expunge an initial indictment?
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 9, 2019

In most states a superseding indictment of the same person usually includes all previous crimes stated in the original indictment plus all the new crimes set forth in the superseding indictment. However, the prosecutor is not bound by or confined to anything while drawing up any kind of indictment.

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Kansas on
Q: How do you find out if someone has federal charges pending against them?
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 20, 2018

Are you asking whether you can find out if someone complained about you to federal authorities or whether you can find out if an indictment filed against you?

i suggest you retain an attorney

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Kansas on
Q: What is the threshold amount for a theft to become a federal crime? Is it possible to know if federal charges are pendin
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 20, 2018

Since I answered the former question using the word "threshold" I know you are the same person.

Was there federal jurisdiction? Does the defendant have a criminal history? Did it occur over state lines? There are so many factors.

I suggest you consult directly with a criminal defense lawyer

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Kansas on
Q: Is theft a federal crime?

Is it a federal crime to steal something from a store and return it for a non receipt transaction and receive a gift card? What if two different states are involved?

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 19, 2018

Generally, before the federal authorities become involved in the prosecution in individual cases. There usually is a threshold amount unless the theft is committed on federal property.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Traffic Tickets for Kansas on
Q: Can you be charged with possession with tempt if there is no drug charges being brought
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on May 29, 2018

What is possession with "tempt"? An what do you mean no drug charges being brought?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Kansas on
Q: My husband opened and used a credit card account in my name, without my consent. What can I do?
Brian Leininger
Brian Leininger answered on Sep 26, 2017

Assuming you want him to be criminally prosecuted for it, gather all of the papers you have regarding this account and go to your local police and make a police report.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Products Liability, Federal Crimes and Health Care Law for Kansas on
Q: Are stores legally allowed to sell CBD oil to customers without a medical marijuana license?

I thought you needed a license to purchase CBD in MO because of the law that passed in 2014. I've been seeing CBD stores stating it's not needed to purchase the products. Is this legal? I don't want to get into trouble for purchasing.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 29, 2017

If they are online that is different, but you could have issues by getting it in the mail from them. If they are in state, you need to contact whoever licenses such businesses.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Consumer Law and Contracts for Kansas on
Q: How to obtain car title or court order for a car i just purchased?

I bought a car from a guy in Kansas and i have the Bill of Sale, 2 other witnesses, registration papers, and insurance papers. I need to obtain the title but he didn't have it and to him it'll take him $200 to obtain them since he says he needs to drive to Topeka to sign papers. I call BS... Read more »

Rick Davis
Rick Davis answered on Apr 27, 2017

The only way to obtain a title if he doesn't provide one is to file a quiet title suit. A quiet title suit is a legal proceeding where you ask the court to declare you the owner of the vehicle. Kansas legal services has a guide on how to file these suits. Here is a link to that information:... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.