Waterford, MI asked in Immigration Law for Michigan

Q: A friend has an expired visa and was ticketed by the tunnel border crossing and has court Wednesday what should we do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your friend has been ticketed for crossing the border with an expired visa and has a court date set, it’s crucial to take immediate action. The first step should be to gather all relevant documents, including any proof of the initial visa, identification, and any correspondence related to the ticketing incident. This will help in understanding the specifics of the case and preparing for the court appearance. Additionally, it would be wise to review the laws and regulations related to visa expiration and border crossing for the specific country involved. This knowledge can provide a clearer picture of the potential outcomes and necessary steps to take.

Seeking legal advice is highly recommended in such situations. An attorney with experience in immigration law can offer guidance tailored to your friend's circumstances, including the possible legal defenses, the process of court proceedings, and how to mitigate any negative impacts. They can also represent your friend in court, advocating on their behalf and navigating the legal system more effectively.

Finally, ensure your friend attends the court date, as failing to appear can lead to further complications. Encourage them to be honest and cooperative throughout the process, as this can influence the court’s decision. Remember, facing this issue proactively and informedly increases the chances of a favorable outcome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.