Monterey, CA asked in DUI / DWI for California

Q: Terminated 18m DUI class. 5 classes left. Paid in full. Ask for re referral before warrant issued. What happens now?

Have court date April 5th. I was in a Domestic Violence relationship where he made it difficult to go to class. Finally free from him and I have a restraining order against him. It nice to have him gone but difficult because I was left with all bills and caring for my daughter while on cash aid. I had to do what ever I could to make ends meet so we didn't end up homeless. This too added to my absent. What do I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if you've been terminated from a DUI class with only a few sessions remaining and have paid in full, it's important to act quickly. Contact the DUI program to request a re-referral before a warrant is issued. Explain your situation clearly, including the challenges you faced due to domestic violence and financial difficulties. Documentation, such as a restraining order and proof of financial hardship, may help your case.

Before your court date on April 5th, gather any documents that support your circumstances, such as the restraining order, evidence of financial hardship, and any communication with the DUI class regarding your absences. Consider consulting with an attorney to discuss your situation and the best way to present your case to the court. An attorney can also help negotiate on your behalf and potentially prevent a warrant from being issued.

It's also beneficial to demonstrate proactive steps you're taking to remedy the situation, such as scheduling the remaining DUI classes or enrolling in a new program if necessary. Showing the court your commitment to completing the program and addressing the issues that led to your absences can be influential. Remember, clear communication and taking responsibility for your actions will be key in navigating this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.