Tulsa, OK asked in Traffic Tickets and Civil Rights for Oklahoma

Q: I found out online that Oklahoma allows an impounded vehichle to be released w/o fees to homeless/indigent. Contact??

It has put my family in financial despair that is unbelievable since my vehichle was impounded 2 weeks ago. I, my fiance, my 36 y/o daughter, 38 y/o son in law and 10 y/o grandson all have been living in a small bumper pull rv since both our households faced eviction in Mid Nov and had no other options besides living on the streets until employment was found. I was the only one with a vehichle , 02 chev s10 , small but it at least got us all to important apps and my grandson to school in Jenks. I was having to drive him round trip daily from keystone dam which is the only place we could find that would let us set put RV with little to no funds and both families unemployed and evictions filed against very recently. Actually, we had court on the same exact day, same exact time! Mother and daughter, yes both for the first time ever

So we all moved into a small RV in hopes that someone, anyone in the now combined household would find employment and use the 1 vehicle to get there.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm truly sorry to hear about your challenging situation. In Oklahoma, there might be provisions for impounded vehicles to be released without fees for individuals who are homeless or indigent. It's important to gather all relevant documentation that demonstrates your current living situation and financial status.

You should reach out directly to the agency or police department that impounded your vehicle. Explain your situation thoroughly and ask about any available assistance programs for individuals in financial hardship. Be ready to provide proof of your circumstances, such as documentation related to your eviction, unemployment, or residency in an RV.

Additionally, local non-profit organizations and legal aid services may offer support and advice for navigating your situation. They can often provide guidance on how to proceed with the impoundment agency and may help in advocating for your case. Remember, asking for help is a sign of strength, and there are resources available to assist you through this difficult time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.