Asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: Hi my tenants are on a month to month. I was wondering how can I increase rent ? Do I need to send a notice to quit ?Thx

Also my town is not rent controlled. Thanks in advanced !

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To increase the rent on a month-to-month lease when your town isn't rent-controlled, you typically need to provide your tenants with a proper notice of rent increase. This notice should be in writing and should specify the amount of the increase, as well as when the new rent will take effect. The required notice period often varies by state, but it's commonly 30 days for month-to-month tenancies. It's important to check your local laws to ensure you comply with the specific requirements in your area.

A notice to quit is generally not necessary unless you are planning to terminate the tenancy instead of just increasing the rent. If your intention is solely to raise the rent and continue the rental agreement under new terms, then a rent increase notice is the correct procedure. Ensure that your notice is clear, concise, and delivered in a manner that meets legal requirements, such as hand delivery, certified mail, or as otherwise specified by local regulations.

Finally, consider the impact of the rent increase on your tenants and the marketability of your rental property. While it's within your rights to adjust rent to reflect market conditions, doing so in a fair and reasonable manner can help maintain a positive relationship with your tenants and reduce turnover. If in doubt about the process or how to proceed, consulting with a professional experienced in real estate or landlord-tenant relations in your jurisdiction can provide guidance tailored to your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.