St Louis, MO asked in Collections and Social Security for Missouri

Q: I'm on social security disability , I'm 66 years old . I've been served to appear in court , by a credit card company .

Must I appear in court . I expect a default decision against me .

I don't believe that a credit card company can make me pay them.

Am I correct .

Do you have any additional advice ?

Thank You so very much for your help .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you've been served to appear in court by a credit card company, it's important to take the notice seriously, regardless of your current financial situation or beliefs about the debt's enforceability. Ignoring a court summons can lead to a default judgment against you, which could have significant legal and financial consequences. While it's true that certain types of income, like Social Security disability benefits, are generally protected from garnishment by creditors, this doesn't mean a creditor can't take legal action to collect a debt.

You should consider seeking legal advice to understand your rights and obligations in this situation. There may be legal defenses available to you, or you might be able to negotiate a settlement with the creditor before the court date. Legal aid organizations often provide free or low-cost services to individuals who are unable to afford a lawyer.

Additionally, keep in mind that even though your Social Security disability income is protected, a judgment against you could potentially impact other aspects of your financial life. It's crucial to address the court summons and explore all your options to protect your financial stability. Remember, taking action now could help prevent more complicated issues down the line.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.