Berkeley, CA asked in Public Benefits and Social Security for California

Q: my mom is withholding my birth certificate, and Social Security card. What do I do in the state of California?

I have been homeless and trying to get into a rehab and I cannot get my Social Security card or my birth certificate from my mom

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if your mom is withholding your important documents like your birth certificate and Social Security card, you have options to regain access to these crucial pieces of identification. For your birth certificate, you can apply for a replacement through the California Department of Public Health website or in person at the county registrar's office where you were born. You'll need to provide some identification and pay a fee, but there are ways to get assistance if you're currently facing homelessness.

To replace your Social Security card, visit the Social Security Administration's website or your local SSA office. You'll need to fill out an application and provide a form of identification, like an ID card or driver's license. If you don't have these, there are other forms of ID that can be used, and the staff at the SSA can guide you through the process based on what documents you do have.

It's also recommended to reach out to local support services for individuals experiencing homelessness. They can provide you with resources and guidance, help you gather necessary documents, and support you through the process of entering rehab. Remember, you're not alone in this, and there are people and services willing to help you move forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.