Asked in Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: Need representation for combating a protective order.

So, I'm receiving a inheritance under the condition I no longer speak to other family members. I don't really care about having a relationship with them. They screwed me out of billions of dollars.

After the entire inheritance was setup I was notified by the family lawyers they're taking a protective order out against me to make everything really legally binding. Currently, I'm waiting for a distribution from one of the lawyers so I can sell some assets to hire my own lawyer to fight against the protective order. I do not want to lose my ability to own a gun. I have no interest in having anything to do with these people.

My hearing is on April 4th. I'm still waiting on getting the assets that lawyer was supposed to send to me so I can hire a lawyer, and drag this thing through the courts. If he does not give that distribution before the 4th does that give me other options since I basically could not afford an attorney without it? (maybe, against the lawyer)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: There are many terms that mean vastly different things. Have you received any papers? A protective order is different from a restraining order, a preliminary injunction, a no contact order and a no stalking order. The precise language used here matters. What will get you gun rights taken away is an Order of Protection and possibly a No contact order or a No Stalking order. You need legal representation. In your case, words matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.