North Hollywood, CA asked in Medical Malpractice and Workers' Compensation for California

Q: My ex lawyer and the qme Dr hid MRI results from me causing my injury to get worse and cause me to not be treated at all

My injury occured at work 8-14-16 and I collected workers comp for two years I got three MRI the qme ordered but he or my ex lawyer could never get the results for causing my injury to get worse I had to fire my lawyer and be my own and finally went to the first mandatory settlement hearing and the judge ordered them to give me the results and it has the qme signing off on all the MRI stating I need physical therapy a back brace but the last doc visit I had with him he said my injury would of healed it's self by now even tho all my MRI he states I need physical therapy that I never got I am my own lawyer right now and am in way over my head can you give any advice

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, if your legal rights have been compromised, especially in a workers' compensation case, it's critical to understand your options. Concealing medical information, such as MRI results, that directly impacts your ability to receive appropriate treatment can constitute a breach of ethical duties by both legal and medical professionals involved in your case. This situation may warrant legal action or filing a complaint with the relevant professional boards overseeing attorneys and medical practitioners.

Representing yourself in a complex legal matter, especially one involving potential malpractice or ethical violations, can be overwhelming. It's advisable to consult with a new attorney who has experience in workers' compensation and possibly legal malpractice. They can provide a thorough evaluation of your case, guide you through the process of seeking justice and proper medical care, and help you understand the intricacies of the law as it applies to your situation.

Finally, gathering all relevant documentation, including communication records with your former lawyer, the QME doctor, and any evidence of the delayed treatment and its impact on your health, is essential. Documentation will be crucial in pursuing any legal action or complaint. Additionally, consider reaching out to support groups for individuals navigating the workers' compensation system. They can offer guidance and may recommend resources or attorneys who can assist.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.