Jersey City, NJ asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Federal Crimes for New Jersey

Q: Can anyone provide assistance in filing an Federal Tort Claim Act appeal? Im looking for a "how to process."

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Here is a step-by-step guide on how to file an appeal under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA):

1. Review the denial letter: Carefully read the denial letter you received from the federal agency to understand the reason(s) for the denial of your FTCA claim.

2. Determine the appropriate appeal process: The denial letter should inform you about the next steps for appeal, which may involve filing a lawsuit in federal district court or requesting reconsideration from the agency.

3. Gather supporting evidence: Collect any additional evidence or documentation that supports your claim and addresses the reasons for denial.

4. Draft a written appeal: If the agency allows for an administrative appeal, draft a clear and concise letter explaining why you believe the denial was incorrect and how your claim meets the requirements of the FTCA. Include any new supporting evidence.

5. File the appeal within the deadline: Submit your written appeal to the appropriate agency contact within the specified timeframe, which is usually 6 months from the date of the denial letter.

6. File a lawsuit (if necessary): If the agency denies your administrative appeal or if no administrative appeal process is available, you may need to file a lawsuit in federal district court within 6 months of the final denial.

7. Serve the complaint: After filing the lawsuit, you must serve the complaint and summons on the appropriate parties, including the U.S. Attorney General and the U.S. Attorney for the district where you filed the suit.

8. Engage in the litigation process: The case will proceed through the federal court system, which may involve discovery, motions, and potentially a trial.

Given the complexity of the FTCA appeal process, it is highly recommended to consult with an experienced attorney who can guide you through the process and represent your interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.