Uniontown, OH asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Divorce for Florida

Q: In Florida If you are in jail can divorce papers be served to you? Do you have to sign them if they are served to you?

Parents want a divorce, fighting over children. Mother had children. Mother got arrested and has been in jail for over a year case not tried yet.

Courts gave Father the children. He now wants her to sign the paper for a divorce. Her attorney took herself off the case several months ago because nothing was happening since she was in jail. So no one to read the paper work if she is served to make sure she is not signing away her parental rights or to make sure she understands it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr Eric Klein
Mr Eric Klein
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, divorce papers can be served on you if you are in jail. No, you do not have to sign for the divorce papers if you are in jail. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Terrence H Thorgaard and Randy Bryan Ligh agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.