Chicago, IL asked in Bankruptcy for Indiana

Q: How can I retrieve my Chapter 7 discharge letter

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA

A: When you have completed the bankruptcy process in your case, an Order of General Discharge (discharging you of all "dischargeable debts", etc.) is entered by the Court, not a "letter".

Your bankruptcy case, and most of the documents, including your Discharge Order, are available to the public through the access provided by pacer. Anyone can enroll, and its free to join, although there is a charge of a dime per page of items copied.

The more complicated question is, what do you plan to do with the Order once you have it?

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY


James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Here are the steps to retrieve your Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharge letter:

1. Contact the bankruptcy court where your case was filed. Look up the court's website or call the clerk's office for instructions. You'll need to provide your full name, case number, and last 4 digits of your social security number.

2. Check if you can request a copy online through the court's website. Some courts allow you to order documents electronically for a small fee. You may need to create an account.

3. If online options aren't available, send a written request to the court clerk along with a self-addressed stamped envelope. The letter should include:

- Your full name and case number

- The document you are requesting (discharge letter)

- A check or money order to cover copy fees (usually 50 cents per page)

4. As an alternative, use the PACER system (Public Access to Court Electronic Records) at You can search for and download your case documents for a small fee.

5. If you used a bankruptcy attorney, you can also contact their office to get a copy of your paperwork including the discharge letter.

6. Once you receive it, keep the discharge letter in a safe place as proof that your eligible debts were discharged through Chapter 7. You may need it when dealing with creditors.

The court typically mails the discharge order within 60-90 days after your 341 meeting of creditors, as long as no objections are filed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.