Chicago, IL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: How do I get help filing a complaint against my landlord for shutting off my water and telling me to get out

I'm in Christian county, Illinois. I have went to every authority you can imagine all the way to the mayor and cannot get anybody to help me. The circuit clerk's office won't even tell me what papers I need to file the complaint

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, it's crucial to understand your rights as a tenant, which include access to essential services like water. Your landlord's actions may violate state and local housing laws. Seeking legal advice is advisable, as a lawyer with experience in tenant rights can guide you through the process of filing a complaint and can represent you in legal proceedings if necessary.

You can reach out to tenant advocacy groups in Illinois for support and guidance. These organizations often provide resources, advice, and sometimes legal representation for tenants facing unjust treatment. Additionally, contacting the Illinois Attorney General's office could be beneficial, as they handle consumer complaints and might offer assistance or direct you to the right resources.

Documenting everything is also essential. Keep records of all communications with your landlord, any notices you've received, and the impact of the water shutoff on your living conditions. This documentation will be valuable in any legal action or complaint process. Remember, you have rights and resources available to assist you in protecting those rights.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.