Lake Charles, LA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Hi! My question is if a child have been living with father for 4yrs can he file for complete custody?

The child is 14yrs old and the mother does not provide anything for the child. The child do visit mother. The mother did loose custody of her oldest child and at one time did not have a permanent address. The father provides shelter, food, clothing and transportation for the child. The mother have not in four years bought any school supplies nor uniform.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: What do you mean by "complete custody"---also, what does the current custody order provide---what are the terms? If the child is 14 years old, I think the appropraite thing for you to do is to seek a consult with a family lawyer in your area to discuss the specifics of your current situation and the best thing to do at this time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.