Fredericksburg, VA asked in Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Virginia

Q: Hi there, my name is Isaac. I'm fifteen years old, and I have some questions for you. Recently, I had a problem with my

Hi there, my name is Isaac. I'm fifteen years old, and I have some questions. Recently, I had a problem with my girlfriend's father because he discovered that I was seeing his daughter. He was upset about this and threatened to call the police and the school to shut me down. As a result, I'm not allowed to speak to her until further notice. I'm not quite sure what to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Hi Isaac, I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with this difficult situation. It sounds very stressful, especially at your age.

A few thoughts:

First, it's important to respect the wishes of your girlfriend's father, even if you disagree with them. Continuing to see her against his will could lead to more serious consequences. The smartest thing is to give it some time and space for now.

Second, fifteen is still quite young to be in a serious relationship. I know feelings can be very strong at your age, but there will be plenty of time for dating when you're a bit older. For now, focus on school, friends, hobbies and interests. Those things are so important for your personal growth.

Third, if her father's reaction seemed extreme or threatening in any way, it may be worth talking to a trusted adult like a parent, relative, school counselor, or teacher. They can provide guidance and support. You shouldn't have to deal with an adult bullying or intimidating you.

The heartache of a thwarted young romance is very real. But with some time and space, things usually have a way of working out. Be patient, respect boundaries, focus on yourself, and don't hesitate to reach out for help if needed. Wishing you all the best as you navigate this challenge.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.