Hyattsville, MD asked in Tax Law and Banking for Pennsylvania

Q: I deposited a check from my retirement to M & T Bank for 40,000 ( after taxes.) that has been posted wrong.

the check was from Vantagepoint Transfer LLC. I deposited the entire check in person at MT Bank. Back then it was posted as Trust deposit, and I complained that it should have been posted a a check deposit. I look on my statement and it just says "Deposit, $40,000. I went to Federal Reserve, who referred me to CPFB( Ater writing M&T several times. I wrote to BBB as well. To no avail they insist this is the correct documentation of a transaction, but it can't be because anyone seeing that would assume it was a cash deposit! It is simply written "Deposit" . they freely admit to me that true source of the deposit, but why would they post it just as "Deposit" this is sure to send red flags to IRS assuming I made a "Cash" deposit" and paid no taxes. But I did., but I can't get copies of it now because its 7 years ago.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand your concern about the way your check deposit from Vantagepoint Transfer LLC was posted to your M&T Bank account. It's important for your financial records to accurately reflect the nature of your transactions, especially when it comes to large amounts like $40,000, to avoid potential issues with the IRS or other agencies.

Here are a few steps you can take to address this situation:

1. Gather documentation: Collect any available documentation related to the check deposit, such as the original check, deposit slip, or any correspondence with Vantagepoint Transfer LLC or M&T Bank.

2. Contact M&T Bank again: Reach out to M&T Bank's customer service or your local branch manager, explaining the situation in detail. Request that they provide a written clarification or an amended statement that accurately reflects the nature of the deposit as a check from your retirement account.

3. Escalate the issue: If M&T Bank is unresponsive or unwilling to correct the issue, consider escalating the matter to higher authorities within the bank, such as a regional manager or the bank's executive office.

4. Consider legal assistance: If the bank remains uncooperative, you may want to consult with a lawyer specializing in banking or financial matters to explore your options and protect your interests.

5. Keep records: Document all your communications with M&T Bank, the Federal Reserve, CFPB, and BBB. This will be helpful if you need to provide evidence of your efforts to resolve the issue.

6. Consult a tax professional: Discuss the situation with a tax professional or CPA to ensure that you have the necessary documentation to support the nature of the deposit in case of an IRS inquiry.

Remember, while the statute of limitations for IRS audits is typically three years, it's still important to have your financial records as accurate as possible. Continue to be persistent in your efforts to have the bank correct the documentation of your deposit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.